If you’re a developer, you’re no doubt aware of the release of PHP 7. It was announced as a major event and is touted as performing up to three times better than it’s predecessor, PHP 5. But let’s get real – how many of you reading this know what PHP is or how it helps to make your real estate website more dynamic and user-friendly? You’re focused on your clients and staying knowledgeable about your market, not on the latest Internet technology – as it should be. That’s why Virtual Results is here. Let us tell you what you need to know about PHP, and how the latest update will enhance the performance of your real estate website.
What is PHP?
PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor. Simply put, it’s a language used by developers to create scripts that are executed on the server side or back end of a website. It is one of several scripting languages used on the server side including C#, C++, and Python. PHP is one of the most popular server-side scripting languages in the world, and it is both powerful and easy to use.
What does PHP do?
Now that you know what PHP is, you’re probably wondering what it allows you to do. PHP is a workhorse that allows you to:
- Generate dynamic files and pages.
- Collect data such as emails and phone numbers that are input on your website forms.
- Encrypt data so it’s safely transmitted on the web.
- Create, open, read, write, and close files right from the server.
- Send emails to your website users.
- Send and receive cookies to track visitors to your website.
- Store, modify or delete information in your database.
- Restrict access to unauthorized users of your website.
What are the advantages of PHP?
PHP has become the preferred scripting language for back-end developers because of its many features. These include:
- PHP is open source, which means it’s totally free to download and use.
- PHP is very easy to learn.
- PHP is efficient and fast, outpacing other scripting languages such as jsp and asp.
- PHP runs on a variety of platforms, including Mac OS, Linux, Unix, and Microsoft Windows.
- PHP is compatible with most servers, including IIS and Apache.
- PHP is widely used, making it easy to troubleshoot issues and find help.
What are the benefits of upgrading to PHP 7?
Because PHP is an open source language, it means that developers around the world are continuously innovating and making improvements to it. PHP 7 is the latest major release and the result of nearly two years of development. Upgrading your website to Goodlife or later will provide significant benefits, including:
- Improved performance – PHP 7 is twice as fast as PHP 5.
- Lower memory consumption – PHP 7 uses significantly less memory than its predecessors.
- Consistent 64-bit support – All 64-bit architecture machines will have consistent support.
Where can I get more information?
Would you like more information about how PHP 7 can revolutionize your real estate website? Then click here or call 888-997-3785 to talk with a member of the Virtual Results team. We are masters in the art and science of real estate marketing online and we’d love to show you how our expertise can take your real estate business to the next level.